Maesteg Quins 6-26 Bridgend Ravens

Bridgend Ravens’ first fixture in 532 days saw a hard fought 26 points to 6 win over the
Championship’s Maesteg Harlequins at South Parade.

A great relationship between the two clubs has seen the Bridgend vs Maesteg Quins fixture
become a regular in recent pre-season campaigns.

The hosts dominated the first half keeping Bridgend on the back foot, but the Ravens
defence was solid and held strong against continued Quins attacks.

Former Bridgend and Llanelli Outside half Tadgh McGuckin landed two penalties in five
minutes to give the Quins a six points to nil lead before Bridgend struck with their first
meaningful bit of possession having been second best for 25 minutes.

A well worked lineout move saw Cameron Ellis break away down the left wing with Caine
Woolerton in support. Desperate in defence, the Quins infringed with a high tackle close to
the line seeing Bridgend awarded a penalty try, taking the lead for the first time in the match.

HT Maesteg Harlequins 6-7 Bridgend Ravens

A raft of second half changes saw 11 in personnel plus a kit change from blue to yellow.
There was also a change in tempo which saw the match swing considerably in Bridgend's

Bridgend made quick work in grabbing a second try of the match, this time a maul drive from
close range after a great Matthew Jones touch finder, saw Gareth Harvey dot down.

Bridgend made excellent use of the new laws implemented for the coming season, the 50-22
working in their favour on multiple occasions handing them excellent field position
throughout the half. The power of the pack showed too, as their maul worked well with no
additional players able to join following the formation of the lineout.

Another slick move in the back line led to the Ravens third try. Joseph Gatt this time
breaking through before finding debutant Ed Howley. The fullback dragged two defenders
over the line with him to score. Matthew Jones added a neat conversion from out wide.

A final score for the visitors arrived at the 70 minute mark. Debutant Lee Murphy, named as
the supporters man of the match, returned to the field following his halftime substitution to
score from the back of another dangerous maul drive.

An excellent way to begin Premiership Cup preparations, a tough outing against a great
outfit in Maesteg Quins, coming away with the victory and some good moves coming off.
Bridgend will look forward to upping the intensity against Merthyr on Friday evening (KO 7:15pm).