Bedwas 31 v Bridgend 24

Bedwas overcame Bridgend Ravens at the Bridge Field on Saturday afternoon to claim four vital points in the battle to stave off relegation. 

Bridgend will be left to rue a poor start to the second half which saw the hosts race into a 31pts to 10 lead. To their credit, Bridgend battled back, scoring two late tries to earn a losing bonus point, but it was a case off too little, too late for the men in blue and white.

Weak tackling saw Bedwas bag an early try from James Richards. Former Ravens Joseph Scrivens, who had a fine afternoon from the tee, added the conversion.

Owen Howe added a penalty to narrow the gap as Gareth Harvey’s break brought about a high tackle form the hosts.

Poor discipline proved costly all afternoon for Bridgend, and Bedwas bagged a second try following a penalty which was kicked to touch. Jordan Rees found space out wide for the try, which Scrivens converted.

The Ravens hit back at the half-hour mark, Dafi Davies got the visitors on the front foot with a strong carry from the base of a scrum, Ben Jones, who carried well all afternoon, went close before a quick snipe from scrum half Chris Williams secured a first Bridgend try. Howe converted.

More indiscipline from Bridgend allowed Scrivens to add three more from the tee before the break, seeing Bridgend head in at halftime down seven points.

HT Bedwas RFC 17-10 Bridgend Ravens

Joseph Scrivens added three further penalties to stretch Bedwas’ lead out to 16 points and on the hour mark the hosts added their third try. With Bridgend on the attack trying to get back into the game, a handling error deep in the Bedwas half allowed the hosts to break away for their third try.

Bedwas lost Craig Hudd to the bin for a dangerous tackle, and Bridgend went about getting themselves back into the game. Two minutes after the card, Bridgend were again attacking deep in the Bedwas 22. Captain Nathan Edwards burst through some would be tacklers and found the offload to replacement Stuart Floyd Ellis who dotted down under the posts. Cai Evans dropped a quick conversation to get Bridgend on the attack again as quickly as possible.

Five minutes later Bridgend were within seven points again, an inventive chip and chase from Caine Woolerton saw the Ravens stopped five metres out, Jamie Murphy was able to spin over the line for the try as quick recycling from Bridgend caught the Bedwas defence out. Howe added the conversion to get Bridgend within seven with 8 minutes to play.

Despite their late attacks, Bridgend were unable to secure another score, falling just short in their efforts to complete a late fightback. Bridgend had to settle for a losing bonus point, which at the hour mark had looked unlikely. The Ravens now turn their attentions to Llanelli as they face six huge games to preserve their top flight status.