Bridgend 31-11 Bargoed

By Aled Thomas | 15/03/2019

Bridgend Ravens continued their fine recent form with a hard fought bonus point win over Bargoed at the Morganstone Brewery Field. 

On a dismal night weather wise, the Ravens crossed for five tries to ease their relegation worries and put their destiny firmly in their own hands. The victory is their third in four league games as they pulled level with Bedwas who occupy the final 'safe' place, with two games in hand. 

A nervy first half led to a tight but enthralling half of rugby. Bridgend struck first just after the twenty minute mark, Chris Williams sliced through a big hole in the visitors defence as the ball was moved quickly from the top of a lineout. Howe's conversion sailed just wide.

Bargoed's best spell of the match came either side of halftime. Prosser added a penalty to see Bridgend head in at the break with a slender 2 point lead.

HT Bridgend Ravens 5-3 Bargoed RFC

Bargoed dominated the opening ten minutes of the second half and took the lead at the 50 minute mark, again thanks to the boot of Prosser.

Bridgend upped their intensity for the remainder of the match going on to add four tries to Bargoed's one, sealing a much needed bonus point victory.

The Ravens were made to work hard for their second score of the match, multiple phases close to the Bargoed line saw Mike Powell get within inches, before more good work from the forwards allowed Ben Jones to glide through for the score. Owen Howe landed an excellent conversion.

Bargoed struck back almost immediately as poor execution from the kick off handed the visitors possession deep in the Ravens half. A cross kick into the 22 bounced perfectly for Dyer to score.

A yellow card, shown to Adam Coupe close to the hour mark, helped Bridgend go on to dominate the remainder of the match.

Bridgend Captain Nathan Edwards was the man to bag the Ravens next try after some good work from Morgan Jones and Adam O'Driscoll. Edwards was able to drag three defenders over the line and get the ball down. Howe landed a sublime conversion to hand the Ravens an 8 point lead heading into the final 15 minutes.

A flowing attack lead to the Ravens bagging a bonus point try as the clock ticked into the final ten minutes. Cain Woolerton was unmarked on the wing and dived over for the score.

With the clock approaching 80, Bridgend again found themselves deep in the Bargoed 22 where Connor Tantum sniped for a try. Owen Howe added the extras to take the Ravens beyond 30 points securing a hugely important bonus point victory.

Latest News

  • Team to face Bargoed (a)


    Bridgend Ravens head to Bargoed Park on Saturday for a re-arranged Principality Premiership fixture with Bargoed RFC (2:30pm).

  • Supporters Transport to Bargoed


    Bridgend Ravens will run supporters transport to the Principality Premiership fixture against Bargoed next Saturday.

  • Bridgend 43-39 RGC


    Bridgend Ravens claimed a vital bonus point win against North Walians RGC in an open, entertaining affair at the sun soaked Morganstone Brewery Field on Saturday afternoon.

  • Team to face RGC (H)


    Bridgend Ravens welcome North Walian side RGC to the Morganstone Brewery Field on Saturday for their penultimate home game of the Principality Premiership season.

  • Silva 'We have to keep our heads up'


    It was another close fought defeat for Bridgend Ravens on Saturday and ScrumV’s Phil Steele caught up with Bridgend Ravens Head Coach Matt Silva pitch side.