Bridgend Ravens
2017/2018 Principality Premiership
Bridgend 27 v 18 Llanelli
16 September 2017 - Morganstone Brewery Field, Bridgend

Match Report

Bridgend 27-18 Llanelli

Bridgend Ravens secured a first Principality Premiership victory of the season thanks to a brace from the bench for debutant Harri Morgan.

A bright start for the hosts was rewarded with a penalty from the boot of Cai Evans. Bridgend then extended their lead to 10 points with 10 minutes played, a stinging attack found Tyler Williams slicing through to score with Evans converting.

Llanelli bagged their first points of the match with 20 minutes on the clock. The visitors should have scored a five pointer following an accurate kick to the corner but the winger dropped the ball over the line. Playing advantage, the referee awarded the penalty which Ioan Hughes slotted.

The visitors levelled the score at the half hour mark, the cross kick again finding its target. This time the winger held on and was able to offload from the floor to Tom Rogers, and the fullback ran it in. Hughes converted to make it 10 all.

Llanelli started to dominate as the first half neared the 40 minute mark. A powerful maul drive from the visitors pack earned the west Walians their second try, with Taylor Davies dotting down. The missed conversion left a five point gap between the two sides at the break.

HT Bridgend Ravens 10-15 Llanelli RFC

Llanelli acted early to bring on the firepower from their bench with Scarlets Jack Condy and Billy McBride entering the field.

An even second half played out with Cai Evans and Billy McBride trading penalties. Bridgend found themselves in a familiar position this season, with a close scoreline heading into the final quarter. The Ravens made sure to break the trend, with the impact from the bench carrying them to the win late in the game.

Supporters Man of The Match Rhodri Apsee crashed through the Llanelli defence, charging towards the 22, 17 year old debutant Harri Morgan was on hand and the prop timed his pass perfectly to the scrum half replacement. Morgan showed he had more than enough pace to score. Cai Evans converted to edge the Ravens into a two point lead with 10 minutes to play.

Bridgend made sure of the victory with the clock heading towards 80. A similar break to the second Ravens try, Cai Evans stepped his way into Llanelli territory. Owen Thomas linked well to find Adam O'Driscoll, who raced into the visitors 22 but the Llanelli scramble defence caught the flanker just short of the line. Excellent recycling from the hosts gave Harri Morgan quick ball and the Wales U18 international touched down for his second try in his senior rugby debut. Cai Evans added the extras to bring his tally to 12 points from the tee and secure Bridgend's first league points of the season. 

Attendance: 420

Official : Wayne Davies (Wales)

Bridgend Llanelli