2017/2018 Principality Premiership
Swansea 22 v 6 Bridgend
09 September 2017 - St Helen's, Swansea
Bridgend Ravens

Match Report

Swansea 22-6 Bridgend

Bridgend Ravens fell to a third defeat in three games in the Principality Premiership at St Helen’s.

It took Swansea 60 minutes to register their first points, but the All Whites added 22 points in the final quarter of the match with none in reply from the Ravens.

An even opening 15 minutes saw both sides create scoring opportunities but neither could make them count. Bridgend took the lead thanks to the boot of Wales U18 Fly Half Cai Evans. The Cowbridge product, making his debut for Bridgend, struck the ball perfectly from the right touchline to record his first points in the famous blue and white jersey.

Bridgend looked to have added the game's first try following a neat grubber behind the Swansea defence from Cai Evans. Tyler Williams got a toe to the ball and flyer Ryan Griffiths looked to have grounded the ball but the Referee awarded a 22 metre drop out to bring to an end a dull first half.

HT Swansea RFC 0-3 Bridgend Ravens

Swansea rung the changes early in the second half looking to swing the momentum, Bridgend initially coped well with the experience and power that the hosts added. Evans added a second penalty with 50 minutes played, this was to be Bridgend’s last points of the match, which Swansea would go on to dominate in the last 20 minutes.

Bridgend continued to attack well but handed Swansea their opening score with an intercepted pass at half way. Andrew Claypole was able to run over the whitewash unopposed. Former Raven Owen Howe was wide with the conversion leaving Bridgend with a slim one point lead as the final quarter approached.

Howe then struck for his first points of the match with a penalty on 65 minutes before a big turning point of the match arrived at the 70 minute mark. Bridgend won a penalty near halfway, with the chance to send the ball into the corner to launch an attacking opportunity with great field position. Seconds after awarding the penalty, the referee reversed the decision and reached for his pocket. Adam O'Driscoll was sent to the bin, leaving Bridgend down to 14 late in the match for the second week in a row.

Swansea found plenty of gaps in the weakened Bridgend defensive line, Rhys Williams slipped through for the hosts second try with 5 minutes remaining. Phil Jones added the conversion to push Swansea out to a nine point lead.

Things went from bad to worse for the Ravens who found themselves down to 13 men with Kieran Martin shown a yellow card as the hosts pounded the Ravens line. The third Swansea try arrived shortly after with Bridgend struggling to defend two men light and Joe Jenkins was able to score out wide.

Bridgend Ravens Supporters Man of the Match - Cai Lewis. 

Attendance: 500

Swansea Bridgend