2016/2017 Principality Premiership
Llanelli 21 v 28 Bridgend
25 February 2017 - Parc y Scarlets, Llanelli
Bridgend Ravens

Match Report

Llanelli 21-28 Bridgend

Bridgend Ravens claimed a first ever win at Parc y Scarlets since the sides first meeting with Llanelli at the ground in 2009. A much needed victory for the Ravens ended a tough Premiership spell of 9 matches without a win.

A powerful Llanelli side looked to play to their strengths with an early maul drive that led to a score for Scarlet Jack Condy. Dion Jones added the conversion for a 7 point lead with just three minutes played

A tight twenty minutes passed before Bridgend got on the scoresheet. A maul drive of their own was finished by Iestyn Merriman but the missed conversion left a two point gap between the sides.

With the clock ticking towards halftime, Chris Williams edged the Ravens into a slim three point lead following a breakaway try. Llanelli’s loose play handed possession to Scrum Half Williams who had the gas to finish in the corner. Joseph Scrivens’ touchline conversion attempt rebounded off the upright.

Llanelli bookended the half with a second try as the clock hit the red. Another powerful forward drive, this time from the scrum was eventually finished off by another Scarlet, Rhys Fawcett. Jones’s conversion stretched the hosts out to a four point Halftime lead.

HT Llanelli RFC 14-10 Bridgend Ravens

Joseph Scrivens closed the gap to just one five minutes into the second half with a successful penalty but the hosts furthered their advantage again through the power of the forwards. Former Raven Greg George bundled over after some heavy carries from the Llanelli pack. A third successful conversion for Jones furthered the home side's advantage to 8.

It didn't take long for Bridgend to respond. The Visitors seemed to be beginning to get parity up front with Supporters Man of the Match Cai Lewis shoring up the Ravens scrum. Ashton Evans, as he did so often last season, burst over from close range, securing Bridgends third try of the afternoon. A third tough touchline conversion was sent wide by Joseph Scrivens, leaving a three point gap between the sides.

Bridgend Fly Half Scrivens hit his mark five minutes later with a penalty to level the scoreline. A determined Ravens team were in the ascendancy and went in search of a bonus point try.

Patient in attack, Bridgend found themselves a metre out hammering at the Llanelli line. With a seemingly impenetrable defensive line, the Ravens shipped the ball wide where Garin Lougher was able to shove his way over to guarantee Bridgend a point. Scrivens successful conversion left a seven point gap with ten minutes to play.

The hosts had a great chance to level the score late on with multiple forward drives close to the Ravens line. A maul drive was well held by Bridgend but successive strong scrums, five metres out, saw Eddie Drake shown a yellow card just five minutes after coming on. Llanelli had the try line at their mercy but lost the ball forward and Bridgend managed to clear to secure an important first Principality Premiership Tier Two win.

Attendance: 120

Official : Mike English (Wales)

Llanelli Bridgend