2014/2015 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 33 v 16 Bridgend
07 March 2015 - Bridge Field, Bedwas
Bridgend Ravens

Match Report

Bedwas 33-16 Bridgend

Four second half Bedwas tries saw the hosts overturn a ten point half time deficit and claim a bonus point win over the Ravens at the Bridge Field.

Bridgend started the match in fine fashion as James Dixon landed an early penalty before Owen Howe's long range attempt was sent just wide. From the resulting 22 metre drop out, Bridgend built an attack that lead them deep into the Bedwas half and a great angle from Chris Lewis saw the centre scythe through the hosts defence. Lewis was able to round the final covering defender and slide over to notch the first try of the match. Dixon landed the conversion to give the Ravens a ten point lead with little over 12 minutes on the clock.

The Ravens' forwards showed their power throughout the first half with big scrums and driving mauls. Bridgend added another three points, this time Owen Howe's long range effort sailed over, before the hosts got their first points of the match when Richard Powell slotted a penalty for Bedwas as halftime approached.

HT Bedwas 3-13 Bridgend Ravens

The start of the second half was evenly matched. The Ravens were attempting to get the ball out wide but were perhaps guilty of over playing as Bedwas were to go over for their first try. Brynley Toms bundled over for the score. Confusion struck as the conversion appeared to have been pushed wide, the assistant referees lifted their flags and the extras went up on the scoreboard before being taken off in the confusion and then re-added. There was no major impact on the match as Bedwas went on to dominate the final quarter, running in three further tries.

Owen Howe landed a penalty for Bridgend which would prove to be the visitors last points of the match with just 60 minutes on the clock.

The Ravens' lineout began to falter and the hosts were able to capitalise. Harley Thompson went over out wide following a turnover in possession after a lineout was lost by Bridgend, the conversion was sent wide.

Powell slotted a penalty to hand Bedwas the lead for the first time in the match with a little over 10 minutes remaining. A couple of minutes later the fly half had the chance to extend the hosts' lead as Adam Williams was shown a yellow card for a deliberate knock on in the Ravens 22. The resulting penalty was kicked and Bedwas were able to pull further ahead with the man advantage.

The hosts' third try was scored out wide as the numerical advantage left a natural overlap. Lewis Hudd was the man to touch down. Powell added a fine wide conversion as the win was sealed.

Bedwas wing Matthew John appeared to have notched the hosts bonus point try only for his score to be chalked off as the ball was grounded on the dead ball line. Bedwas were able to get the bonus point as Stuart Thomas managed to touch down out wide and complete the hosts' impressive comeback. 

Attendance: 500

Official : Ben Whitehouse (Wales)

Bedwas Bridgend