Bridgend Ravens
2014/2015 Principality Premiership
Bridgend 19 v 32 Quins
20 September 2014 - Morganstone Brewery Field, Bridgend
Carmarthen Quins

Match Report

Bridgend 19-32 Carmarthen Quins

Bridgend fell to a second straight league defeat despite a much improved effort from the home side, as Quins secured their fifth straight win at the Bridgend Ford Brewery Field.

Carmarthen raced out of the blocks, scoring their first try of the game after 3 minutes. It was well converted from the corner by Dan Jones.

Bridgend quickly fought back. Tom Habberfield, returning to Ravens colours, made an excellent break. Some strong phases from the Ravens saw Ryan Evans go close to touching down in the corner but Bridgend had to settle for three points. Ross Jones kicked the penalty with 7 minutes on the clock.

Bridgend, playing the better rugby, were halted by Carmarthen indiscipline. Ross Jones got a second penalty for the hosts to reduce the deficit to just 1 point.

A dubious penalty decision after 16 minutes gave Quins some great field position following a kick to the corner. A good maul from the visitors was kept out by the Ravens but Carmarthen went wide and some fast hands put Dylan Morgans over for their second of the game. The conversion was missed from the touchline.

The Ravens didn’t let their heads go down and were soon on the attack again. Some strong running from Olly Cracknell resulted in another Bridgend penalty. Jones slotted his third shot at goal after 21 minutes.

A brilliant counter attack, from a loose Quins kick, by Mike Powell saw the winger make 50+ metres. Carmarthen were forced to concede another penalty and Jones’ effort was successful to level the scores with 25 minutes gone.

Carmarthen kicked their first penalty of the match five minutes before the break to give the visitors the lead back as halftime approached.

HT Bridgend 12-15 Carmarthen (0-2T)

Tom Habberfield was yellow carded 2 minutes into the second half as Carmarthen threatened the hosts line.

Bridgend did well to initially hold the visitors out with a powerful counter maul but Carmarthen went over for their third try of the match after 48 minutes. A quick lineout caught the Bridgend defence off guard and some good work from the Quins saw Haydn Pugh go over. The conversion was successful.

Carmarthen turned the screw with the man advantage and scored a second try in quick succession, their fourth of the afternoon, to seal a try bonus point. Fullback Dion Jones went over in the corner. The conversion was missed by Dan Jones.

Back to a full compliment, the Ravens were able to work themselves back into the game. A collapsed maul deep in the Quins 22 saw a yellow card for visitors second row Pugh. Bridgend kicked to the corner again and club captain Ashleigh James was able to go over for his third league try in two games. Ross Jones converted to give the Ravens faithful some hope with 18 minutes left to play.

Carmarthen looked to have sealed the victory with their fifth try of the game. Dylan Morgans went over in the corner following an excellent wide move. Jones missed the conversion for the visitors, but with less than ten minutes to play, a win seemed out of reach for the Ravens.

Bridgend continued to search for the try that, if converted, would get them within the seven point range to take a bonus point from the game. The Ravens came close, knocking on near to the line. Further Quins indiscipline led to a second yellow of the match for the visitors. Replacement Rhodri Wells left the match with two minutes left to play.

Bridgend tapped and tried to get that crucial try but Morgan was tackled into touch with seconds to play. Quins won the lineout and cleared their lines to bring the match to an end.

FT Bridgend 19-32 Carmarthen (1-5T)

Bridgend Scorers: Try: Ashleigh James. Con: Ross Jones. Pen: Ross Jones (4)

Supporters Man of the Match: Tom Habberfield.


Author: Chris Edmunds. 

Attendance: 350

Official : Andrew Davies (Wales)

Bridgend Quins