2012/2013 Principality Premiership
Llanelli 29 v 3 Bridgend
23 November 2012 - Parc y Scarlets, Llanelli
Bridgend Ravens

Match Report

Llanelli 29 v Bridgend Ravens 3

Bridgend Ravens' winning streak came to an end at Parc y Scarlets thanks to a strong second-half performance from Llanelli in a game dominated by stoppages.

After one penalty each, the sides were level with a few minutes of the first half remaining but tries from Craig Hawkins, Aled Davies and Nathan Hart as well as eight more points from the boot of Owen Williams ensured that Llanelli took the spoils with a comfortable victory.

The win lifts Llanelli to 4th in the Principality Premiership table whilst the Ravens remain 9th, though they still have the opportunity to swap places with 8th-placed Cardiff with victory at The Arms Park next Friday.

Both sides demonstrated enterprising play in the opening ten minutes. The Ravens broke from a strong scrum and wing Tom Grabham spotted a gap, only for the ball to eventually turnover in the Llanelli 22m. Soon afterwards, a cross field kick from Llanelli flyhalf Williams found Dale Ford but again, the ball was knocked on moments later.

It was left to the kickers to put points on the board and Jamie Murphy cancelled out Williams' early effort to level the scores at 3-3 with seven minutes of the first half to play. But just as it looked like the sides would enter the changing rooms all square, the Llanelli pack drove over a five metre line-out and captain Hawkins was the one to ground the ball. This score seemed to rattle the Bridgend players and Williams added a second penalty on the stroke of half-time to stretch the gap to eight points.

Half-time: Llanelli 11 – 3 Bridgend Ravens

Llanelli seemed invigorated by the way they finished the first period and Williams added another three points soon after the interval before being blood substituted with Diggy Bird.

Bird was only on the field for just over ten minutes but the 21-year-old kicked another penalty for the hosts and played a big part in Llanelli's second try, finding Jonny Lewis who in turn passed to replacement scrum half Aled Davies for the score.

It got even worse for the visiting Ravens five minutes later as first Steve Winn and then Adam Hillier-Rees were sin-binned to reduce Bridgend to thirteen men. However, the team showed great resolve to keep Llanelli at bay until they returned to their full compliment.

But it was too late to mount a comeback and as the Ravens sought a consolation try, the ball was intercepted by winger Ford near his own 22m. A desperate tap-tackle by Winn brought the number 14 down but he was well supported and the move was finished off by Nathan Hart. 

Official : Neil Perkins (Wales)

Llanelli Bridgend