Bridgend Ravens
2012/2013 Principality Premiership
Bridgend 11 v 38 Cardiff
19 September 2012 - Morganstone Brewery Field, Bridgend

Match Report

Bridgend 11-38 Cardiff

Bridgend Ravens suffered a third consecutive defeat, this time at the hands of Cardiff at the Riverside Hardware Brewery Field.

The weather conditions offered the potential of a high scoring encounter, with the Ravens eager to avenge their previous two defeats, and Cardiff looking to build on a huge win over Newport on the weekend.

It was Bridgend who made the faster start, and their early pressure was rewarded with a penalty from youngster Ben Thomas after six minutes.

Cardiff fought back impressively with man of the match Gareth Davies making an exceptional outside break and diving over near the posts. He added a conversion to his own try, with a penalty following a few moments later to give Cardiff the advantage.

With Cardiff firmly on top, Ellis Jenkins added a second try from close range following some good work from the pack. Again, Davies added the extras and Cardiff were looking extremely dangerous with the lion share of possession.

The possession told, as the Ravens kicked away more ball, Joe Griffin was able to put former Raven Steve Cullen over for an impressive score under the sticks. Davies kicked the points and Bridgend were really forced to chase the game.

Ben Thomas kicked a second penalty after the half hour to draw the Ravens closer on the board, but as they looked to create an opening, a loose pass from Jamie Murphy allowed Luke Hamilton to race away and secure the bonus point for the Blue & Blacks.

Half Time: Bridgend 6-31 Cardiff.

The second half was a period littered with errors. Cardiff looked to run away on the scoreboard but some close quarters Bridgend defence kept them at bay. Cory Allen came close but Jamie Murphy saved the Ravens with a last ditch challenge.

A pivotal event was a serious injury to Ravens second row Shaun O’Rourke. The youngster was stretchered off following a lengthy delay to a warm applause from the home faithful.

The rest of the half was dominated by niggling injuries and mistakes as both sides utilised their benches. There was to be more in the game for Cardiff though, as Garyn Lucas scored following some good work from his outside backs.

To their credit, the Ravens refused to lie down and got their reward as Ashley James pounced to get a consolation for the home team. Ben Thomas missed the extras and the game came to an abrupt end, with Cardiff comfortable victors.

Ravens captain Jonathon Vaughan reflected on a disappointing evening. ‘I can’t explain what I am feeling at the moment. We are all in this together and I am pleased at the ways the boys fronted up in the second half.’

Bridgend Ravens: Jamie Murphy, Luke Morgan, Nathan Edwards (Rhys Williams 40), Sam Campbell (Aled Thomas 74), Rhys Ward Jones (Glen Lewis 78), Ben Thomas, Chris Williams: Ken Dowding (Dan Sutter 79), Ash James, Jon Thomas, Shaun O’Rourke (Marc Thomas 64), Alex Jones, Adam Hillier-Rees (Jonathon Vaughan 35), Lloyd Evans, Scott Hicks.

Try: Ashley James (82). Penalties: Ben Thomas (6), (35).
Yellow Card: Jon Thomas (24).
Bridgend Ravens Man of the Match: Jamie Murphy.

Official : Martyn Lewis (Wales)

Bridgend Cardiff